Northbrook College has a long history in music education and we are proud of the fact that our experience and expertise both in the music industry and music education has helped create some wonderful opportunities for former students. We will support and encourage you in any way we can to ensure you achieve all you want to in your career.
Are you an ex-student who has had success after Northbrook?
Let us know
Recent Student Career Successes
BA (Hons) Music Business and Management
· Radha Medar finished the degree with the intention to go to Law School at Westminster Uni to become a music lawyer. She got a place, then her work experience turned into a full time job. She now works at Warner Music as A&R with names like Ed Sheeran, Shrillex, Rudimental, Disclosure and Skepta. She also manages two DJs, including DJ Monki of Radio 1.
· Luke Parrish started his own production company and sends teams out to festivals.
· Jessie Gardiner works for artist management company But!.
· Ria Midgley started a label around her band and now employs a small group of marketers.
· Bethan Williams works for the BBC.
· Mark Longhurst works for web design and SEO company Fresh Egg, who liked his blog :papercomets:
· Chyrelle Oldman Mclean works for Paramount Artists.
· Alex Michelli got a job at local dance label Recoverworld, then went to work for Harrods Department store as a buyer.
· George Aldridge runs a small music venue in North London.
· Alex Ives works full time in A&R for Ninjatune.
· Darren Harvey runs his own short run collectors' vinyl label for hardcore bands.
· Rob Fauvel became a primary school teacher.
· Bruno Otranto is an international DJ and promoter in Berlin.
· Joanne Wallace started a music sync company and is a music supervisor on a low budget art film.
· Tony Merritt runs Klavar, his own recording studio and production company.
· Lucy Smith works for Book Publisher, Wiley.
· Colm Foxon started a music sync company.
· Em Whetham works as Reviews Editor for Manchester Scenewipe, a website dedicated to music news, videos, reviews and Manchester based gigs
· Adam Smith now works in Artist Liaison for Sony Music, booking acts for TV shows such as Jonathan Ross, etc.
BA (Hons) Music Production
· Graduate Ryan Hurley, aka Kideko, is enjoying success including his summer Ibiza hit 'The Jam' reaching number one in the Music Week Upfront Club Chart
· Ex-student Jon Ollier became Ed Sheeran's booking agent - at Free Trade Agency and booked 300+ gigs in the one year that really established him nationally.
· Toni-Anne Gray:
Audio Editor / Producer at Loopmasters
· Tim Morris – recording/mix engineer for Enter Shikari (won independent album of the year at the AIM awards), Dairy Studios
· Chris Garvey and Nick White became the Prototypes, and continually tour and dj all over Europe
· Chris Hall performs as MCID, touring with top producer Sub Focus
· Georgie Wood works in outside broadcast: yesterday she was on Sky’s broadcast of the Queen’s Speech for the State Opening of Parliament
· Mark Dobson works by day as Mastering Engineer at CODA Mastering and is signed as recording artist for Pilot Records
· Kirsty Sillars - vocalist on Surfer Rosa Records. Highlights include appearing in NME and performing in Singapore. Production assistant, Bang radio London.
· Jez Cordonnier owns Transmission Samples, a business selling audio samples for studios
· Tom New tours with PA company Clair Brothers, and has worked with Paul McCartney, mixed monitors for Eric Clapton, Mel C, Courtney Love and Ne-Yo and tech'd rehearsals for The Rolling Stones.
· Kevin Grist –
Relationship Manager for music hubs for
Arts Council England
· Charlotte King -UBC MediaStudio manager at independent radio production company
· Rosie Kendall co-owns and runs acclaimed Brighton culture magazine “The Source”
– works at Sky Broadcasting in Sound
BA (Hons) Music Composition for Film and Media
· Terence Dunn wrote the music for 2016 BAFTA winning animated film, 'Edmond'
· Megan Summers now works in the video game industry composing music soundtracks for a number of independent game developers around the world. "My work has been included on titles such as Cross Reverie | The Trial of Nightmare, Alina's Quest and many other projects in Canada, Mexico, London and even as far as Australia. I since have increased my music horizons into music teaching which I will aim to complete next year to become a fully self-employed musician, producer, composer and mentor."
· Nico Willems has composed music for RBS, NatWest, Jeep, Pepsi, Burger King and Rolex, won the Vox Award for his Lucazade ad music and was shortlisted for the BBC Young Composer's Composition
· Alex Ball is Head of Music at MCSaatchi: Composed, sourced and licenced music for: Currys PC World, Jameson, Dixons, Ladbrokes, Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, Gulf Air, BMI, HMRC, COI, NatWest, RBS, Virgin, TFL, Garmin, Hyundai, HP Sauce, Visit England, Royal Horticultural Society, Vertu, Direct Line, Ribena, Lucozade, Siemens, Be Clear on Cancer, Oxfam, Wildaid
· Megan Clifton – Lecturer Northbrook, recording artist/performer
· Richard Brincklow - written and recorded music for documentaries, films, TV and adverts. These have been broadcast on BBC2, BBC4, Channel 4 and ITV1
· Silje Haavet – MA Kingston University, Songwriter @ Warner Chappell
· Luke Phillips – composed the score for Edward Woodward’s final film “A Congregation of Ghosts”
· Mishkin Fitzgerald - Lead singer and pianist for Birdeatsbaby, Composer BBC Worldwide TV
BA (Hons) Music Performance
· Ben Stringer runs Sussex Academy of Music
· Caitlin Lock has worked for a huge range of labels and artists in Digital Marketing, Sanctuary, Universal, David Lynch, Trojan
set up independent events company 'Secret Door Events'; stage management work at festivals working with Ben Howard, Anna Calvi, Blood Red Shoes, The Bloc Heads, John Cooper Clarke, Alabama Shakes, Jake Bugg, Leanne Le Havas, Dj Yoda, Dj Format. Also teach music @ Sussex Downs College
· Zulal Mehmet – starred in “Black Ink” Film by Mumtaz Yildirimlar
Past Alumni Successes
Scroll down for Signings, Live sound work, Sound engineers, Music business work, Media work, DJ & Radio work and others
Dan Leggett - Had tracks licensed by Freshly squeezed and Magic records on 'White mink black cotton 2' and 'Retro Electro' under the name Swaggerjax. Played at Glasto, Big Chill, Coachella and Playgroup.
Tom Stephens - Album in iTunes top 30 R n B chart
Sergei Forster-Hall and Kieron McTernan - As Lost Brothers, signed to Incentive (Ministry of Sound) comes in at No15 in UK National Chart in Christmas week, 2003. MTV play-listed video, single in charts for six weeks, 12" singles on Nukleuz label, remix work for Universal Records
D. W. signed by subsidiary of Columbia based on Production work completed at Northbrook
Jim Mortimore - album blues guitar, gigs with Herbie Flowers, own band with regular spot at Tate Modern
Sergei Forster-Hall and Kieron McTernan - remix work for Universal Records
Dom Sweeten - releases for Kaktai Records, Brighton
Joe Shetcliffe - successful releases on Warp Records, 2 sell-out singles and debut album for Lumenessence Recordings. Featured Artiste, label of the month, Lumenessence Recordings, John Peel show, Radio One
Rob Quickenden - signed artiste 3 album deal – Lumenessence Recordings. 3 singles, debut album ‘Threads’ for Lumenessence Recordings. Big Chill single of the year for ‘Company B Boy’
J. W. – remix for Adam Freeland’s label, based on a piece of coursework
James Elder / D. P. ‘K2’- Sky TV, NME/Miller Battle of the Bands winner
Mike Powell - Tech Manager for 2 festivals, Tech Manager for fringe venue at party conferences, front of house on main stage at Bearded Theory
Nick Hatton - Worked as a Crew and Drum Technician for Nine Below Zero
George Nunn - Worked at Great Escape (Technical Volunteer Manager), Bugged Out (Artist Liaison), Hop Farm (Tech Volunteer Manager), Playgroup (Stage Manager). Digital, Brighton - DJ + Lighting and Sound Man for the club. DJ elsewhere in Brighton regulary
Luke Parrish - Worked the Great Escape, Bloc festival, Playgroup festival, Toured with the Bootleg Beatles, Toured with Raising Maisie, Technical production manager for 3 town centre events, Provide staff for atm promotions, Worked at Amex stadium
Shane Watson - Stage management work at festivals which has enabled work with such artists as Ben Howard, Anna Calvi, Blood Red Shoes, The Bloc Heads, John Cooper Clarke, Alabama Shakes, Jake Bugg, Leanne Le Havas, Dj Yoda, Dj Format to name a few
Jon Castrillon - Owner of "C3 Audio" sound/P.A. company, one of the biggest in Brighton employing ex-Northbrook students.
Paul Johnstone - Sound Solutions PA/live sound company provided sound feed for BBC Music Live 1999, Brighton.
Rob King - own PA hire co, and manager of singer, Katie Neiman (featured on Pop Idols)
D. M. - Working FT for 'Playback', doing PA installations live sound. Also delivering music software training in Thailand using skills learnt at Northbrook.
Matt Benzie - Resident sound engineer at Sussex Arts Club, Brighton
Adam Pickard - Worked at Strongroom Studios, Programmer/Engineer for producer Youth and Mike Stock among others.. Artists worked with include The Orb, Primal Scream, UNKLE, Groove Armada, Feeder, Embrace
Alex Vernon - Worked for Soundelux in Soho on Casino Royale
Paul Pascoe - Engineer at Church Road Studios
Steve Parfrement - Freelance sound engineer
Tristan Learmonth - Engineer at Lumen studios, Brighton
Rob Quickenden - engineer Ford Lane, 3 album record deal with Lumenessence Recordings
Tom Oliver - head sound engineer - Concorde 2, Brighton
Luke Hahn - sound engineer - Concorde 2, Brighton
Adam Pickard - sound engineer, Strongroom Studios, London, Jacobs Studios, Farnham
M. D. – sound engineer Scream studios
Ben Byford - live sound engineer, Atomic Kitten, Afro-Cuban All-Stars,
Lex Worth - Manager at Komedia Brighton. Worked with the XX, Cinematic Orchestra, R.E.M, Arctic Monkey, Henry Rollins, Feist, Jonas Police Women, Noisettes, Joanna Newsom, League of Gentleman, James Blake
Will Bunch - Work for decks.co.uk, written press releases for major lazer, James Blake and benga, co-run below the line - a successful clubnight and blog based in Brighton
Shane Watson - Set up independent events company 'Secret Door Events' and hosted a variety of live music shows showcasing a wide array of musical talent from the south.
Mark Dobson - Started a record label on which the first 12" came out in November '12. Started a mastering business
Nathan Hetherington - Head of Online PR at Mud Hut Digital
Ian Bannister - compilation co-ordinator for Sony UK
Alex Ball - Had music used on MTV's "The City", Scored a feature film and several animations, had a number 3 hit in Belgium, co-wrote the Smurfs cover a song. Composed, sourced and licenced music for: Currys PC World, Jameson, Dixons, Ladbrokes, Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, Gulf Air, BMI, HMRC, COI, NatWest, RBS, Virgin, TFL, Garmin, Hyundai, HP Sauce, Visit England, Royal Hortecultural Society, Vertu, Direct Line, Ribena, Lucozade, Siemens, Be Clear on Cancer, Oxfam, Wildaid.
Lee Scott - now composing music for T4 (Ch4)
Alan McKinney - Working for Local media production company producing and recording spots for Radio.
Marcos Marchese - composer music for Siemens, music for short film for Deaf Film Week, “Deafinitley” Theatre piece London, feature on VeeTV (channel 4)
Claire Batchelor - commissions for BBC TV
Catherine Mulally - commissions for BBC TV
P B – PS2 sound design at “Kuju”.
J A – PS2 sound design at “Kuju”.
Charlie King - Studio manager at an independent radio production company, Record, edit and mix radio docs and programmes for the BBC mostly
Dougie Mack – drive-time DJ - Juice FM, Brighton.
Jerry Luff - manager Jersey studio100FM, Jersey.
Noraay - R&B/Soul/HipHop - Artist and Songwriter.
Noraay previously studied Music at Northbrook College and has since made full use of her music training. She now takes on production, as well as songwriter and performer duties, whether it be carving out her own soulscapes, supporting artists like Terri Walker or rocking the stage at Radio Onemusic in Brighton.
“Noraay paints vivid pictures with her music to create a sound that has unexpected depth and reach. She has the talent, ambition and desire to go on to become a major artist.”
Rita Ray – world music DJ and broadcaster (BBC World Service, BBC 3 & 4)
"I'm reminded of Massive Attack before they got so gloomy...touches of Natacha Atlas...the tenderness of The Sundays and Morcheeba and Nelly Furtado in there too. A confident, content performance, like she know she's going places and plans to relish the journey."
Bethan Williams - Channel co-ordination, post production paperwork and licencing at BBC
Rosie Kendall - Runs Brighton Source magazine
Keiron Roland / Toni Anne Gray - reviewers on Knowledge Magazine, owners of ”Waveshaper” label.
Dean Spencer – Publication of music compositions in Keyboard player magazine.
C. B. - Articles in Sound on Sound Magazine.
Roger Storrud – MA Film Composition at Bristol University.
Silje Haavet – MA Film Composition at Kingston University.